Impact of Digital and Mobile on Retail Stores: Build Trust With Leading Provider of Wired and Wireless Networks

Every retailer and shopper knows that technology has completely transformed the purchasing experience. Many think that physical stores have disappeared because of the convenience of shopping online and deep price cuts. However, a recent study shows that most retail sales still occur in brick-and-mortar shops.

Studies on Digital Role in Shopping

In 2012, Deloitte published findings about the impact of digital shopping in The Dawn of Mobile Influence. At the time of this study, the popular term “show rooming” referred to shoppers who looked at products in a physical store before buying reduced-price items online. The report noted that “customers who use a digital device in-store as part of their shopping process were actually more likely to make a purchase – not less.”

In a 2014 report, “Navigating the New Digital Divide: Capitalizing on Digital Influence in Retail,” Deloitte debunks several prevalent perceptions about our current “obsession” with shopping online. Specifically, “In 2014, 6.5 percent of retail sales were online – or roughly $305 billion, with the remaining 93.5 percent (or more than $4 trillion) happening through traditional brick-and- mortar stores. Most studies that focus on digital in the retail marketplace focus exclusively on the 6.5 percent of total sales that occur through digital channels. Instead, we chose to focus on the 93.5 percent of sales still taking place in physical stores and the role that digital plays on that number.”

Findings from this study include the following:

  • More customers were using digital devices before and during their shopping journey – including smartphones but also tablets and laptop computers – and more digital information was available.
  • The “digital influence factor” directly impacted 36% of total in-store retail sales in 2013 – that’s $1.1 trillion, or more than four times bigger than eCommerce alone.
  • Although many retailers continued to focus on digital, it was a key component to traditional shopping.
  • Many retailers needed to leverage the potential of digital and were quickly falling behind compared with consumers’ expectations.

Digital, Mobile and eCommerce Sales

According to the 2014 report, digital influenced $1.7 trillion of in-store sales last year compared with $0.33 trillion a couple of years ago. The impact of mobile devices on in-store sales increased to nearly $1.0 trillion from just $0.16 trillion in 2012. Here is the dollar comparison between digitally and mobile-influenced in-store sales and eCommerce in the United States in 2014:

  • Digitally influenced in-store sales $1.70 trillion
  • Mobile-influenced in-store sales: $0.97 trillion
  • eCommerce sales: $0.30 trillion

In addition, the 2014 study indicated that shoppers gather information for different categories from clothing to groceries and electronics. According to the report, “With the digital influence factor ranging from 31 percent for the food and beverage category all the way up to 62 percent for electronics, the variation is clear: category by category, shoppers curate different shopping experiences using digital.”

More Information About Internet Access in Retail Stores

One way to build trust with shoppers is to provide Internet access in your store. By inviting them to use free Wi-Fi, retailers can set the stage for a positive shopping experience. If you show confidence in the information that they will find about your products and services, many shoppers will decide to make purchases and return to your store regularly.

Safety NetAccess is a trusted leader in the wired and wireless network arena. Besides retail shops, we provide services for a variety of Wi-Fi centric companies including:

  • Hotels
  • Healthcare facilities
  • Quick-serve restaurants
  • Schools
  • Many others

Our networks are built to provide convenience, mobility, productivity, expandability and security. We provide the best wireless networks to meet all of your needs. Contact Safety NetAccess now.